Saturday, October 18, 2008

Autumn Days and a Surprise

I have been so tardy in making a new post. So here we go. We've been having a beautiful fall. The trees are gorgeous and the maples show two or three colors at once. The weather has been sunny most days and we decided to go to the Fresh Air Market in Wheaton. Wheaton is 15 min. east of Batavia.
The flowers were stunning. They had so many kinds. Lots and lots of potted mums.
Then there were the cut flowers. Beautiful bouquets of carnations.
Another vendors potted mums.
A big display of peppers.
Potatoes of a smaller variety. The ones up front are called fingerlings.
We got these jewelry shots for Noah. These are all small glass pieces.
A different angle of the glass work.
We ended our excursion with that mid-west favorite, Thai food.
The surprise. Yes, Maurie broke his arm. Tuesday morning while he was at his motel getting ready for work he lost his balance reaching for a towel at the end of his shower and he fell hard and the upper humerus got the brunt of the fall. He told me that he knew right away that it was broken. I drove up and got him, brought him home to our local emergency room. (He wanted to do everything close to home.) They took ex-rays and it was very obviously broken. We iced it for twenty four hours and got the swelling down and then we went to the orthopedic doctor. He checked it out and put this plastic cuff on Maurie's arm. We go back in two weeks and hopefully Maurie will have healed enough to graduate to a sling. Right now he is in a velcro immobilizer. He is having a hard time doing everything with his left hand. If his left hand can't do it then he's depending on us for help. No driving and no keyboarding. That is Maurie's life and it's hard for him to ask us to help him. We will get through this fine.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am so sorry about Maurie's arm. I know most of us have a hard time asking for help when we are hurt. Hopefully it will heal up nicely and in a timely manner, then he will be out and about on his own. Give him our love. Actually, our love to all of you

Alan and Shelley said...

Oh dear! I had no idea when I talked to you this am that Maurie had broken his arm. So hard to deal with broken limbs. I hope that the mending of bones goes well and fast. It really is a pain to have to deal with for both of you. Be good to him and be patient is all I can say. I personally know how rough it is to be one handed.

sara said...

Well what a pain in the rumpus for Maurie to be without 2 good arms. It is amazing how much we take for granted when we are fully functioning. I am also glad that the days of casts are in the past. We just see a lot of immoblizers and slings just as prescribed for him. That must have been quite the fall. I love markets are they not fun. We don't really have many of them in SLC and I have never even been to one. I did see my share of them in Seattle though.