Monday, November 10, 2008

Super Saturday

I thought you might be interested in looking at how Maurie's arm is healing. There is a lot of bruising and the angry red color is a rash that has developed from having is arm bound to his ribs. I got much powder on it and it is getting better. Maurie's arm is healing, but he is impatient and wants to be done with the whole process right now. It has been a terrible time.

Seth being silly in the dining room. He didn't want me taking his picture and so I had to settle for this. Seth's birthday is on Monday the 17th of November. He will be 15 years old. Where has all the time gone? I can't believe that he is as old as he is.
The next few pictures all come from the Geneva Ward Relief Societies Super Saturday. For two weeks we had a disply out and you could sign up for the crafts that you wanted to do. They said they would stay at the building until everyone had finished all they wanted to do. So, of course I signed up for a lot.

First, was the pillow set. They had prepared the felt for us. We sat down and started cutting everything out.

While I was busy with my pillows, Rachel was making her MacGyver Kit. After she was done with her own she took over that station and pretty much helped everyone to make their kits.

Here she stands with her finished project. You may have seen these around. It is a hotpad with snack size ziplocks sewn inside. You fill the ziplocks with little items that you could need. Everything from extra money, too chapstick, too tylenol.Many of these were made. They were the most popular item. They were already sewed up and the sisters just had to fill them.

This is a picture of Magnus Reid Mumford. He is one of the newest members of our ward and his hair sticks up so. His Mom says that's how his Dad's hair was when he was a baby. His hair is very comical.

Rachel is stuffing one of the pillows. She helped many besides me. We probably had 40 sisters there and many girls from Young Women. We broke at noon and had a soup buffet. I made Southwestern Chicken Chowder. It was very good and some asked for the recipe but I just threw lots of good things together and tasted it along the way. We ended the meal with Christmas cookies and then everyone was eager to get back to their projects.

A finished pillow with two more to go.

Here are the three pillows. A pine tree, a star and JOY.

Rachel made me a MacGyver Kit.

A closer look at the insides.

I made this plaque after I finished the pillows. It came to gether fast once I had the painting done.

We got all our goodies home and decided to take pictues. Rachel made this glass brick. It will look great with a candle behind it.


Here is the plaque at home with ribbons all fixed.

This is a closer look at the Macgyver kit from the outside. I think this would make a great "do it yourself'"gift that YOung Women could make. Maybe an idea for Sara and Stacy.


I wanted to list what is inside of these kits in case you want make some up. There are eleven bags and they contain steri-gloves, alcoholwipes, band-aids, toothpicks, dental floss (loose) two cough drops, three lifesavers, a packet of two extra strength tylenol, two large cotton balls, two q- tips, a couple of kleenexs, chapstick, an emery board, a clothes pin, two matches, safety pin, a button, a popsicle stick with thread wrapped around it, a needle, a paper clip, small post it notes, a pen, an elastic band, masking tape wrapped around another popsicle stick, a tampon, small sanitary napkin, and a couple small single packets of wet ones. At home we added five single dollars and a handful of change. They chose hot pads that had a large loop and then they sewed a button on the other side and that's what holds it together.

My last project was this rustic embroidered nativity set. In the photo the baby Jesus doesn't show up very well. But I promise he really is there. The words say Christmas Joy.


















5 comments:

sara said...

What a busy day. You really did sign up for a lot. I missed the sign up for ours so I don't think that I will be going. It looks like they had lots of fun things to do. I also would like the recipe for your soup. Maybe you could put it on the blog.

Jennifer said...

Wow, you accomplished alot in one day. I liked the Christmas crafts and I think the MacGyver kits are a great idea.

Stacy said...

That arm looks terrible!
Nice projects! Can't wait to see you in December.

liz and dennis said...

i bet you had a great time with rachel at the saturday event. the crafts looked wonderful, especially the mcgyver kit. i think i should make one for whitney, but i have so many projects that it's scarey. glad to had a good time.

Miranda Gutierrez said...

Cute stuff AnneAdele and Rachel...! I think i might steal a few of those ideas for my enrichment.. I love them.. can't wait to see you in December!