Sunday, January 23, 2011

And Now For Something Completely Different


I have been thinking about blogging on this subject for some time now. I probably first had the thought before Thanksgiving. But I dismissed the subject as being not appropriate for the holiday season. It doesn't address anything about being thankful. And it certainly doesn't seem very Christmas-y but, we are now more than half way through the cold dreary month of January and I needed a silly distraction. So I'm asking all of you. What is the strangest item in your fridge? I want to hear from everyone, especially our family members who are abroad. Yes specifically Zack and Leslie.

As you can tell from the above picture I have an overflowing assortment of condiments from fast food restaurants. This is my entry into the "Strangest Thing in the Fridge" collection. It is not that fast food condiments are odd. It's that it is so large. I open up my fridge and invariably a packet of fancy ketchup falls out at my feet. It's as if the refrigerator is making the choice for me. I can just hear it saying, "You may think that you want to have milk on your granola but, try this fat free ranch dressing. It has only been in here for three years. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Go ahead try something different." Or as I'm reaching for eggs my eye is drawn to excessive amounts of little sweet and sour sauce tubs. I own many of them and I start to wonder can I mix the McDonalds brand with the Burger King brand and can I then mix them both into cheese souffle? Probably not. I am an adventurous cook but, I'm not foolish. So let me tell you the numbers.

24 thin packets of parmesan cheese
16 packets of crushed red pepper flakes
8 mini tubs of cream cheese
8 packets of horsey sauce from Arby's
4 packets of Signature BBQ sauce from Arby's
7 packets of salad dressing (included are 3 fat free classic Italian dressing, 3 fat free ranch and 1 Newman's own southwest dressing)
6 packets of mayonnaise
11 containers of butter
7 mini tubs of sweet and sour sauce
4 containers of honey
1 imitation sour cream
1 mini moo half and half
16 packets of soy sauce
8 packets of hot sauce
1 unlabeled container that I think might be honey mustard dip
24 packets of fancy ketchup (Why does it turn into fancy ketchup if it is packaged into a small aluminum envelop?)
1 Special garlic sauce from Papa John's Pizza
1 mini jar of orange marmalade, partially used
3 packets of Gulden's spicy brown mustard

Oh as I was counting I found 2 more buttermilk ranch dressings. I was thrown off because they are in a mini tubs instead of a packet

And for the strangest item I have an unidentified large packet of some oddly colored gunky goo. It's lumpy and rather greeny, yellowy brown. My guess is that it may be really old garlic.

I hope that I haven't forgotten anything. Please share with all of us "The Strangest Thing in My Fridge."




7 comments:

sara said...

Strangest thing in my fridge eh? Well I had similar little packets but no where near the variety and amount that you have. But I have fry sauce. I knew you would not have any of that. I have a bottle of old oil that I use for frying. Not sure how old it is but I am sure I will use it again. And I had an old wedge of asiago cheese that had a very strong scent. I tossed it. I am not sure I can win this contest. I am anxious to hear what others have. Remember when Mom would leave gravy in the fridge for weeks and it would solidify and get cracks. That used to drive me crazy.

Stacy said...

Bottles, and bottles of insulin. Considering the fact that no one is here that uses them, it is a bit strange. My mom will be back in April and hopefully we won't have to throw it all away! My fridge is always a bit sparse because I like to clean it out when I go grocery shopping. Get rid of the leftovers and other stuff that isn't needed!

Stacy said...

I did see something strange in my sister Bridgette's fridge in Alabama. She had a big plastic bag full of mascara. She told me a friend gave it to her and it keeps better in the fridge. I brought some home for me and Kels and I thought it was very clumpy!

Jennifer said...

I found a tub of whole dates that were best used by Sept. of 2008. I bought them when Banner was in sixth grade and did a presentation about Egypt. I also found 3 packets of ketchup and 1 tub of fry sauce. Before I got my new fridge I had cow antibiotics.

The Schauerhamers said...

As of right now I do not have anything strange in my fridge, my freezer however is a different story. It's not so much that it has anything strange in it it's just that we've had to start a whole other freezer on our deck in front, buried in the snow. Our outdoor "freezer" has several bags of potato wedges compliments of Simplot Fertilizer. It's a yearly thing and seems to last the entire year so we have only a little room left for things like Lean Cuisines frozen meats, jams, and berries. I did at one time have several little baggies with a variety of frozen insects in them. Andrew caught them for me, I think he did it because it reminded him of when we were dating and I was in an entemology class and he helped me gather bugs for my insect collection, I guess he thought I wanted to continue the collection even after the class was over. We kept them for a while but when we finally moved to Ashton I tossed them. Their little legs were broken off anyway. Yes... Strange!

Alan and Shelley said...

I have nothing strange in my fridge. Seriously, nothing. I do think that you should have a contest to see if we could come up with a good recipe that would use all your mini condiments. One question - why do you keep them?

Anne Adele said...

T answer Shelley's question. I keep because I have this handy dandy shelf in my fridge. I have to admit that after counting all the packets and tubs and cleaning out the shelf and noting how a couple of leaky packets can ruin all the soy sauce, I threw everything away, except for the honey, which Rachel asked me to keep. This wasn't a contest. It was just to see what we had forgotten in our fridges. Often I will add new foods and things get pushed into the back and if I don't check often things can really pile up. Most of us had something pretty unusual that we had stored without any plan to.