Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Apologies and a Birthday

Maurie had his birthday on Sunday and to celebrate with those near and far I thought I would post a new blog. Let's start with this famous family photo. Maurie's Mom entered him in a beautiful baby contest and it was no surprise when he won. Here he is strutting his stuff dressed a s a lifeguard. First prize was $5.oo. (Big money in those days!)

Isn't this just the cutest little boy.
I love the plaid bow tie. He must be six or seven.

Here he is in high school.

This is a picture of Maurie and his younger brother Rick. Rick is nine years younger than Maurie.

This what Maurie looked like when he entered the Navy in 1967.

This was his first assignment after basic training. The U.S.S. Kaskaskia. It was an "oiler" that refuled other ships at sea. The ship is pulling into Malta in this picture. Maurie went to Europe twice on this ship.

Maurie taking a little break in the midst of his hard work. He was a Storekeeper and ordered supplies for the rest of the ship.

This is what Maurie looked like when he left the Navy. The Navy had relaxed the standards and he could grow a beard.

This is what Maurie looked like when I first met him while I was on my mission. He was the Elders Quorum president and he helped my companion Sister Higuera and myself find a new apartment to live in. The apartment was in the basement of his and Becca's home. That is when I started getting to know the family.

A great picture of Maurie. This picture was taken while Maurie was working at Arthur Andersen (1978 to 1990. This picture was taken about 1987.

This picture was taken the day of Becca's funeral, outside of the chapel in Prestbury, Illinois
Becca died August 21, 1985. Miles was 15, Kate was 7 and Noah was a few days old.


Kate's baptism. She was afraid her hair might float in the water and she would have to be baptized again. So we braided her hair and to make extra sure I pinned it in with lots of hair pins. We practiced her baptism so she knew exactly how everything would happen. Her hair did not float.

Maurie and I were married in August 1989. This is Rachel being held by Dad and she is just a few hours old. Rachel was born on July 26th, 1990.

Three years later we had another child--Seth. Boys are rare in the Jorgensen family so this was quite a surprize. This is Seth and he also is just a few hours old. Seth was born on November 17th, 1993.

A smiling Maurie. He was serving as the Bishop of our ward when this photo was taken.

Maurie's 50th birthday. Maurie was Bishop at the time and the ward threw him a gigantic party.


A few years ago the city of Chicago sponsored an artistic/historic event. Cows were decorated and set up all over Chicago. We went into the city and saw many of them. They were all the same basic cow but artists could decorate them any way they wanted. Cows are always significant to Chicago because of the huge stockyards and the meat processing plants that were located here and provided the wherewithall for many fortunes to be made.


Maurie's dad died in the summer of 2001. Shortly after that this picture was taken. Maurie, his brother Rick and his Mom.


Here are the five kids. This pictue was taken about 2001.

And here they are again. This picture was taken towards the end of September of 2008. They are all getting older. Miles is married and has four sons. Kate is also married and also has four sons. Maurie keeps waiting for a granddaughter to spoil.

I know Maurie is not in it but they represent his best efforts and work and I couldn't think of a better tribute than these fine people.

And now for the apology. I am so sorry that I haven't posted a new blog for such a long time. My computer has been reluctant and I have been forgetful. I really do like blogging but you wouldn't know it from my performance over the last few months. I actaully have made four previous attempts at a new post but my computer. Well let's not start name calling. I am posting from Maurie's computer this time and I've had no problems whatsoever.

3 comments:

Alan and Shelley said...

I loved the post and learned a lot more about Maurie and his many faces. Loved all the facial hair. He certainly did deserve the cutest baby award. Hope the $5.00 went toward the college fund. It was fun to see all the pictures of the kids and I could see Noah's and Seth's faces in Maurie's. Happy Birthday Maurie! and many many more.

Jennifer said...

I'm so happy you were successful with Maurie's computer. I think this is a great post. Maurie has a wonderful family. What a posterity.

sara said...

I was getting concerned because we had not heard from you in a while. So I was very excited to see this post from you. It was fun learning a bit more about Maurie, especially those Navy years. I too saw the boys faces in his younger face. Interesting. Hope he had a great birthday. Good to have you blogging again.