Monday, March 30, 2009

A Little April Foolishness

Talk about April foolishness, this snow that is keeping my daffodils company is very foolish.
Actually, we woke up to this snow on Sunday morning. So it was early April foolishness.
I took these pictures on Sunday afternoon at about 2:30 in the afternoon. Most of the snow had melted by then.
This picture is set up so that you can see our neighbors house to the east. What I really want you to focus on is how well my tulips are doing.


Now for some real April Fools silliness. Read the following and try to figure out what is being described.
O proud left foot, that ventures quick within
Then soon upon a backward journey lithe.
Anon, once more the gesture, then begin:
Command sinistral pedestal to writhe.
Commence thou then the fervid Hokey-Poke,
A mad gyration, hips in wanton swirl.
To spin! A wilde release from Heavens yoke.
Blessed dervish! Surely canst go, girl.
The Hoke, the poke -- banish now thy doubt
Verily, I say, 'tis what it's all about.



This next bit of poetry are the lyrics to a song "Rudy's Big Adventure" if you want to hear the composer singing the song go to Cindy Mangsen Rudy's Big Adventure on your internet. Her singing it is really very funny.
Rudy is a cat of silken fur and suave demeanor
But his intellect is not the very best
On the night of which I speak we had finished up our dinner
And my husband Rich was clearing our repast
He threw the salmon in the sink, then turned his gaze for just a blink
And then he hollered and I turned to him aghast
The cat has caught his head in the disposal
The salmon skin was just the bait to lure him to insinuate
His head in the Insinkerator, Rudy's in the clink
I gathered up my wits and I slathered on some Crisco
and a little dab of Johnson's baby suds
I was thinking I could grease him up and slide him from the trap
But the portly little body wouldn't budge.
Then Rudy's brother Lowell began to nip and lick and howl
At his sibling who was swimming in the sludge
The cat has caught his head in the disposal
Who can you call up late at night to ask for help with such a plight?
Your plumber, sure, he'll set it right. Dave will save the day!
Dave was glad to talk Rich calmly through the fine points of
Disposal deconstruction, but we failed to free the cat
And 1-800-Insinkerator won't respond on Sunday night,
No matter what they tell you in the ads
We resorted to the digits of the desperate, 911,
And I settled in to have a little chat
My cat has caught his head in the disposal.
Don't worry ma'am, we'll take this is on, we'll send Officer Mike & Officer Tom,
If they can't handle it, no one can. Help is on the way!
The cops arrived at midnight, cat lovers every one,
And they surveyed the situation in a second
Soon Rich and Mike and Tom were huddled underneath the sink
With a tiny saw to cut the flange on Rudy's neck and
I sat with Rudy on the brink, breathing deep so's not to think
Of the grinding of the saw blade in the depths
The guys exposed the guts of the disposal
And Rudy's face appeared to us, the visage that's so dear to us,
But he wasn't out of danger 'cause his neck was in the ring.
They couldn't cut the flange without endangering the cat,
So the next step was to lift the kitchen sink.
Officer Mike has got a little plumbing business on the side,
And he set to work as quick as you could think
The guys were having quite a time, capping off the plumbing lines,
By one A.M. the pipes were all unlinked
The cat was still encased in the disposal.
They turned the sink up on its side so head and body could align,
But still to budge he was not inclined. Rudy's in a bind.
The cops had done all they could do, but Rudy's paws were turning blue,
He had to see a doctor right away
Mike knew about a clinic with an all-night vet to visit
And he said that he could lead us to the place
So Rich got in the driver's seat, I crawled in back with the kitchen sink
And Rudy and the disposal on my lap
As we took off, I thought I'd comfort Rudy with my touch,
And I reached around so he could smell my hand
And that loving little tabby chomped down on my finger badly
And he clamped it in his jaws and held it fast.
I bowled aloud in pain & Rich pulled over in a panic,
"What's the matter? Are you okay?" I answered "No,
The cat has got his jaws around my pinkie"
I knew I would survive the bruise, we pulled again behind the cruiser
Racing down the avenues searching for the vet
The cop pulled over in a parking lot behind a church
We pulled beside him, and Rich said "Mike, where's the vet?"
And the officer responded "Who is Mike, and who are you
And what's the reason you've been tailing me tonight?"
Rich pointed to the back seat where I grimly smiled & gnashed my teeth
And once again my saga did relate
My cat has caught his head in the disposal.
Our third policeman wasn't busy, "I'll lead you the vet," says he,
And there was Mike, all in a tizzy, "Where the heck were you?"
We carried Rudy and the sink and the disposal in,
And we were glad to be received without a smirk
Rudy's temperature and oxygen were low, he was in shock,
And the doctor and the staff went right to work
I couldn't help but cringe when they stuck in the syringe
And the pudgy little body slumped inert
The cat was slithered out of the disposal
They lobed his neck with KY jelly, pulled his greasy body til he
Popped out of his collar and was free from sink at last!
The crew sprang into action, IV fluids were attached
And little socks and blankets warmed him in his bed,
Hot water bottles were applied, a blow-dryer to warm
The punky spike of fur upon his tawny head
Rich and I got home at 4 AM, sipped martinis, went to bed,
Awakened by a newsman with a query: "Do you have
A cat who caught his head in a disposal?
The blotter the policemen keep says something about a kitchen sink
And a cat who clearly didn't think. How's Rudy, by the way?"
The story spread through throughout the town & traveled all the world around
But fame has not affected Rudy's thinking
Our new disposal has a cover, and I know I find it odd
That Rudy still is seen to prowl around the brink
You would imagine he'd recall with every shiver of his soul
That magic evening he adorned the kitchen sink
The cat who caught his head in the disposal
The night that Rudy was detained a thousand bucks went down the drain
And the stalwart vet can now exclaim he's seen the kitchen sink

The next bit of April Foolishness is called Why Women Live Longer Than Men



















This last bit is from the comedian Jim Gaffagin. I picked this out for Rachel because she loves bacon.

3 comments:

The Schauerhamers said...

That was a good funny post! I really enjoyed the Hokey Pokey and Really Really enjoyed Rudy and the Kitchen sink. Sounds like something that would happen to me and our cat, and me making Andrew do everything possible to get the cat out of it's terrible "sitiation". Loved the pictures of the men doing stupid things. Good foolishness if you ask me!

Anne Adele said...

I need to tell everyone that the last funny bit with Jim Gaffagin didn't copy to the post. I will sav it for another time. Sorry. And finally Happy April Fools Day.

Alan and Shelley said...

Those were some great pictures. I believe that the combination of machinery, some 2X4s, and some wire bring out the optimist fool in a man. The pictures made me wish we had had a camera the day our crazy dad man made us try to load pigs with a tractor and scoop! I really thought he had lost his mind! Amazing that he didn't fall out of the scoop and split he head open. It might have knocked some sense into his noggin. Loved the poems and your tuplip pics. Mine are up about an inch. But right now its snowing like its December. Someof the biggest flakes I've ever seen. Alan took a picture and we should download it. But instead we're going to the temple in Rexburg (it's 8:45 pm) to clean the temple. Our stake is cleaning it this month. Gotta go!