Friday, September 19, 2008

Just Wanting to Connect

I just finished going through the blogs looking to see if anyone had a new post and I was struck by Stacey's post where she talks about how she counts. She counts all kinds of things. She described it as a little OCD and it got me to thinking about all the little things that I do that could be seen as OCD habits. I don't know if any of them are real OCD type behaviors or just patterns I have fallen into, because they are comfortable, or they once served a purpose, or any number of reasons. But the first one I thought of is I like to work off a list. I write everything down that I have to get done and then I cross them out when they are finished. I reason that goes back to Daddy writing lists for us. I liked that you didn't have to deal with Daddy, you just dealt with the list, and when it was done, it was done. I liked the crossing out part too. I give my kids lists too and then they deal with the task, not me. The thing that may be a little OCD is that the list has to be written in my best handwriting. If it is not then I have to write another list. Also I have to write the list. No one else can write it. It's the same with my weekly calendar that I redo every Sunday afternoon. I once let Seth write and it bugged me all week long. It's a magnetized list of the week and it goes on the front of my refrigerator and I looked at it several times each day and I cringed to see Seth's writing and not mine. I told him specifically what to put on each day, but the fact that it was not in my handwriting made me tense and uneasy for a whole week and I have not let anyone else do it since the Seth fiasco.
Another thing that sends me quickly crazy is a bed that's not properly made. The sheets have to be just right and absolutely smooth. I hate even the slightest crumb or bump. In the morning I have spent time picking off all the hair that may have come off our heads in the night and throwing it into the garbage. And the sheets have to be fitted sheet right side up, flat sheet right side down and the pillows fluffed just right. I am so anal about my bed.
Like Stacey I wished that I was more into cleaning and keeping everything just so. My habit is to keep things basically picked up and then do cleanups when company is coming. My visiting teachers count as company. The kids friends count as company. And absolutely anyone coming for dinner counts as ultra company. I relish any reason that comes up that triggers our all working together to make the house look nice. Rachel and Seth don't understand. Maurie thinks I'm silly. He says we are who we are, but I think and say different. Maybe I take too much pleasure in having things picked up and nice. Maybe I'm focused on the wrong things, but I don't think so. I wish that I had a quote from Brigham Young like Shelley's quote about making our yards pretty, and it would back me up on my tidy home stance. It just feels right.
Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have habits, styles, ways that you are very particular about and if you would like to post them and then we can see how crazy we all are, or maybe we are not crazy at all.

3 comments:

sara said...

I am definately a list maker. I love to write it down. Mainly I do this to stay organized and efficient. I make lists at work and I think my co-workers think I am nuts. But I get it all done and it makes me feel good. I also have to have a made bed everyday or it makes me crazy and no clothes but nightgowns, garments, pajamas can touch my sheets. I think I got that from Mom. I never take naps inside my bed only on top. That is what blankets are for.

Stacy said...

I make lists sometimes! Funny you should mention your bed. My bed is my most prized possession. Her name is Fluff and I tell her that I love her at night. Hee, hee, hee! I am laughing like crazy. I can't believe I am telling this! She is the most comfortable bed in the world. I hate to leave her for long trips! I think Josh has a jealousy issue.
I have noticed that your family has a thing for picking! I am surprised noone has mentioned it!

rosann said...

Anne - I don't know what blogging etiquette is either (or how to spell without spell checker!), but I love that you know the Smiths, and are related to Luci (I love her and her family - it's hard for me to call her a sister-in-law, because it's really more like a sister!!). Small world indeed!! Thanks for the note!!